LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Mind over Matter

Today I am reminded of why I actually started running consistently.  A few years ago our little family was hit hard by sickness.  My daddy was diagnosed with stage 4 bladder cancer, hubby's daddy was diagnosed with psorosis of the liver ((never drank--but a BAAAD diabetic)), hubby's mom not in good health, AND the birth of our precious baby boy #2....all within a year's span.....stress is putting it lightly.  I remember feeling one January afternoon that I was about to "lose control".  I have run off and on throughout my 20s and 30s but never consistently---unitl that moment.  I looked at hubby and said "I have to get out of here.  I'm going to run.  I will be back soon."  Now, keep in mind this day was a gloomy, cold, wintery afternoon with chance of precipitation.  Well, after about 15 minutes into the run, the snow began.  It snowed and snowed and snowed!  I. Loved. Every. Minute. Of. It!  I felt such a release I couldn't explain--probably from the exhaustion off all of the above.  When I got back from those few moments of running, I felt like I had a clearer mind and my sanity once again--a since of renewed spirit.    Something happened that day---a spark was ignited---I.  was.  hooked. 

I hear people say all the time "Oh, I am NOT a runner!"  or "I can't even do half a mile!" I guess when push comes to shove, we all could say we "can't" do something.....until we are pushed to the brink.  I always tell those people it's "mind over matter"---I truly believe that.  It IS mind over matter.  I had to clear mine that day and I instantly felt the change. 

Today---with all the changes I am facing with my job---I am reminded of why I began running.  Sometimes you just have to "get away" for a few minutes.  Running is my outlet.  Good day of running or bad day of running.  Love my running!!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment