LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Sunday, November 11, 2012

My, what a year can bring!

I ran my first 5K since all of this began with me.  I initially stopped running in the spring because of the excruciating headaches I was having.  Although it really isn't that long to a lot of people:  I have missed being "me" and my running...

A precious friend told me about the race 2 weeks ago.  She told me it benefitted fallen soldiers.  What a great cause to run for on Veterans Day weekend! 

Another close friend drove a little over an hour to accomplish this milestone with me.  This is HUGE as she doesn't consider herself a "runner"....yeah, well, honey, that has changed!  ;0) 

The opening ceremony was really sweet.  There were a couple of speakers and our Pledge and National Anthem.  Truly beautiful. 

After the quick ceremony they called for the "runners" to line up in the front of the line.  "This is IT!!!",  I thought. And the tears began to flow.  I choked them back really quick because I really wasn't expecting to be emotional about a 3 mile run.  Afterall, this time last year I was pushing 20!!  (But THAT'S a whole different "story"!)  Anyway....my 2 friends and I prayed and then we were off and running!  Again....tears.  I broke out into what I thought was a decent stride only to be dismayed around .8th of a mile.  Shin splints.....GRRRRRR!!!  (It's what I get for not stretching beforehand)  Needless to say, I perservered through one of the HARDEST races I have run since I began running races (a little over 7 years ago).  My emotions were a bit all over the place and I cried like a baby when I crossed the finishline, just like I did when I crossed after 26.2 miles....yet another milestone in my marathon training of life. 

God is so good. 

The sweet friend that told me about this race gave me balloons and a sweet card at the end.  She typed the following verse and glued it on the inside:


And He said to me , "My grace is sufficient for you, for my strength is made perfect in weakness."  Most gladly, then, I will rather glory in my infirmities that the power of Christ may rest upon me...for when I am weak, then, I AM STRONG.

2 Corinthians 12:9-10
(Yes, tears again (and every time I read the card) ...I can't help myself.  God gave us emotions and my tears are "tears of cleansing" ---according to my precious MAMA!!  Not to mention:  this is an emotional ride, people!!) 


God bless!!

-E


No comments:

Post a Comment