LilySlim Fitness goals tickers

Sunday, November 6, 2011

To Abandon or Not....THAT is the Question!

Last week's "long" run was to consist of 14 miles.  14 miles, you may think would be a "breeze" at this point, but for me yesterday, it. was. BRUTAL!!  About mile 5, I thought about quitting.  I couldn't get a stride, a breath, or a good thought.  My body was simply not responding like it has been and I was QUITE frustrated, to say the least.   I mean, one would think at THIS point in the game 14 miles would be an easy run.      NOOOOT!!!  Thankfully I have a friend would has run a marathon before so I texted her.  I asked her if she had ever abanoned a run.  Her reply :  "YES!  And I was FURIOUS with myself!" ---- soooo, the obvious answer for me to quit:  "HEEECK NO!"  We continued to text back and forth for about 4-5 miles (which kind of took the pressure off of the thought of running because I "had" to stop to text!  HA)   THEN, the phone rang, and of COURSE  I had to answer it.  Another friend, another mile--yeeehaaaw!!  Before I knew it, I was at 10 miles and there was NO WAY this ole gal was quitting with a measly 3 miles left.  I mean-heck-I have been running 3 miles for 15 years.  I. Got. THIS! 

So--to abandon or not?  For me, it's a personal challenge that I wish to conquer.  26.2 miles is a looooooong way to run and I completely accept my role to condition this body and mind for that run.  Do I abandon my 14 miles?   answered lies within.  Absolutely not--running is a parralel to life.  Life isn't always easy.  We make choices that sometimes come with consequences, NOT EASY consequences. Things happen that ma y cause us to want to quit.  But we must perservere.  Winners cross that finishline!  Ultimately, we are left with looking at ourselves in that mirror of life.  I want to see myself as a winner.  Ultimately, we are all dealing with some kind of challenge in life.  Will you abandon your run? 

No comments:

Post a Comment